Thursday, November 26, 2009

Where Thanksgiving Day Begins

It’s a tired cliché on Guam, but one that keeps our tourism industry moving. “Where America’s Day Begins” is a phrase we constantly manipulate.

Technically, this is not the first American territory to see the new day's sun. That honor belongs to Wake Island. However, Wake Island has no tourist industry and thus no need to claim primacy. I’ve never been there, but according to Wikipedia it is only three square miles and occupied by some military folks.

You can make “Where ********’s Day Begins” fit any situation. I’ve seen it tagline every major holiday, I’ve seen it as a joke, I’ve seen it advertise just about every industry Guam has. And of course, it graces every “I [Heart] Guam” T-shirt.

So yes, we are the first Americans to celebrate Thanksgiving each year.

We are a truly blessed and thankful family, but we didn't have much of a celebration today. Last year we hosted a big to do with several other families at our house. If you’re military on Guam, chances are good you’re not joining your extended family for Thanksgiving. One of those families we invited last year is hosting our same group again this year. However, the husband works at the Naval Hosptial ER and has duty most of the weekend. Our big Thanksgiving dinner will be on Sunday this year instead.

For all of my adult life I've enjoyed Thanksgiving as my favorite holiday of the year. I think it's because of the deep, positive family associations it contains for me. I love my family, and I love getting together with my extended family - parents, sister, nephews, nieces, in-laws. Thanksgiving Day means family, pure and simple.

Sure, we base it around a feast - but that's even better! There are no whinings about "When are we going to open the presents?" because there are none. There are no gimmicks about searching for Easter Eggs, and no birthday games to play. We all simply feast and give thanks for everything God gives us, enjoying time together without distractions. The simplicity of the holiday is probably what I love the best.

May you and yours have a blessed Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment