Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Inaugural Post

A quick introduction: I’m happily married and we are the parents of three children – Melissa, Josephine (Jo) and Lukas. Jo and Lukas are fraternal twins. All three kids are younger than four. In this blog I'll be using pseudonyms for many of my family members, including my immediate family.

I’ve been stationed with my family on the island of Guam in the Western Pacific as a U.S. Naval Officer since February 2007. The last time any of us were back on the mainland U.S. was October 2007. The twins are young enough that they have never been on the mainland outside the womb. We’re about to experience a huge transition in our lives. We’re all moving to Colorado and I’m leaving active duty service to start a new life as a Navy Reservist and civilian.

I view this as a time of great renewal for us as a family. Having lived on an isolated tropical island for years, we’ve adapted to the lifestyle. Everyone knows everyone else here, traffic is light, local cuisine is awesome, and the weather is enviable. However, there are drawbacks – airline flights are expensive and long, food is expensive with limited selection, and a two hour road trip takes you right back to where you started, just to name a few. We’ll have a fresh perspective of America as we come home and we start a completely new life outside of the active duty military. This is our story – our Mainland Voyage!

No comments:

Post a Comment